Clean install Mac OS Big Sur completely erases your macintosh drive. So, kindly make sure that you have backed your system with Time Machine. It is an inbuilt feature of the Mac devices so that back up could be performed with an ease. To take backup with the Time Machine, all you need to do is to connect your Mac device with an external device. A series of steps need to be followed to clean install Mac OS Big Sur. It is a recent update made by Apple in the present year only. In this article, the methodology to attain the desired purpose will be discussed.
Let us get started.
What is a clean install?
It is a valid question to ask if discussing the very same aspect. As the name itself suggests that, clean install means to install Big Sur onto an erased drive. All the other necessary aspects in this article are discussed below.
Methods to clean install Mac OS Big Sur
You will have to follow steps that will clean and install your macOS Big Sur. The details has been discussed below in detail:
1. Backup your Mac
Time Machine is the best tool to make a backup from your system. Time Machine needs a storage medium onto which it will copy your data. If you have large files on your Mac, you will need an external drive. These are the steps you need to follow:
· Go to System Preferences>Time Machine
· Connect an external drive.
· Select this disk as a backup source in Time Machine.
After these steps, you are all good to go to clean install Mac OS Big Sur.
2. Clean your Mac
Second, you will have to clean your Mac. Once it is refreshed, your system will be ready for a Time Machine Backup. Time Machine will take a snapshot of your system. To clean your machine automatically, you can install a wonderful tool known as CleanMyMac X.
3. Download macOS Big Sur installer package
To download macOS Big Sur installation package all you have to do is
· Go to developer.apple.com using safari.
· Click on discover.
· Now you can choose the Mac OS platform, and click download.
4. Create a bootable Big Sur installer
You need to connect another USB device to your Mac. This device should be at least 16 GB in space. The steps to be followed are:
· Select this drive and click erase in the top menu
· Double-check what you are erasing
· Make sure the USB is shown as “untitled”
· Under format, choose: Mac OS Extended (journaled)
You need to be a little as the data on the drive will get lost.
5. Erase a startup drive in Disk Utility
Since your older configuration is gone now so, start your Mac in recovery mode:
· Turn off your Mac and hold down command +R.
· Choose Disk Utility from the menu.
· Choose your main startup drive and click erase.
Why do you need a Clean Install?
There are numerous benefits why Clean Install is beneficial for your system. These are:
- You get rid of the unnecessary clutter and old system bugs.
- Your Mac will run faster-as if you have recently unboxed it.
- Uninstall software you never use.
- It helps in fixing problems like Mac slowing down, crashing, and freezing.
- It will make your Mac’s processing time faster resulting in resolving many of your recurring problems.
All these benefits can only be obtained once you Clean Install Big Sur.
This article can be concluded by mentioning that for an Apple user it may get difficult but it is not impossible. Follow these simple steps and get your wish fulfilled. They are not tedious to follow. You can also take expert advice for a second opinion to clean install Mac OS Big Sur. It will make your system like it is renewed and you won’t need anything else than this.