The term or word labor, in its most basic sense, refers to a dedicated and concentrated effort which is done with an end or goal in mind. This effort could be of any sort or dimension; hence we talk of mental physical or manual labor.
In the world today, it is a commodity of great worth in itself which can also be gotten for a price. And depending on what it is that is being sought for, and the skillset that is required to achieve, it can be very costly.
Basically, it is generally classified into skilled and unskilled labor. The reality today is that skilled labor is generally valued more and earns more in terms of financial returns.
Now, it should be understood fundamentally that all labor is necessary for a society to function well and fulfill its potential thus, it should be appreciated and respected. However, and sadly so, this is not always the case especially with unskilled workers.
This however, does not negate their importance to the society in general, and to individuals in particular. They are also a great source of income for most families around the world.
Who Are Day Laborers?
A lot has been written on this issue some of which can be seen here. But in summary, it can be said that day laborers generally fall into the unskilled category of workers.
However, in their case they are hired and paid on a day to day basis. This means that there is no guarantee of work for the next day. While this does not mean that their services must end with the passing of a particular day, it just highlights the temporal nature of their work.
Are There Advantages to Working with or Hiring Them?
The answer to this question is a big yes! As a matter of fact, depending on how you look at it, it could actually be a smart decision to hire them for the following reasons.
- They Are More Affordable: It is actually a norm that their services are affordable. This thus enables upcoming entrepreneurs and business owners to build or carry out whatever plan or endeavor they want to do without much cost.
- They Are Available: They are usually always available for work no matter the location or time of call. This is why they are usually the best contingency plan.
- They Offer a Broad Range of Basic Practical Skills: This is so because of the different varieties of work that they are exposed to. Resulting that over time, they have a wide range of basic skills that usually prove useful to their hirers.
Are There Disadvantages?
Well, it is said that everything that has an advantage has a disadvantage. The saying runs true in this particular situation. The Disadvantages Include:
- You Walk in Blind: This is so because you do not have the opportunity to verify or run a background check on who or those you are hiring. This poses a risk because, the character or qualification of the individual or individuals you are hiring cannot be ascertained.
- Quick Results but Poor Quality Work: This is an off shoot of the above mentioned point. This occurs as a result of your inability to ascertain the technical know-how of the person or persons you are hiring.
- You Might Be Breaking the Law: It should also be pointed out that you might be unwittingly breaking the law by hiring a person that is not qualified to carry out certain tasks.
- Legal status: This is an issue if the individual is an immigrant, whether the individual is a legal or illegal immigrant. This is important because, hiring an illegal immigrant is against federal law.
The point in giving all this information is not to scare you off, rather it is to enable you find and hire the best day laborers so as to avoid making a mistake in your hiring process.
How Do You Engage Them?
The First Step Is to Determine the Number You Need: This is very much dependent on the type of work and the speed with which you need to get it done. This is very important because it determines what you are to pay them.
You Have to Check the Labor Laws: This law stipulates what is to be fair pay and good working condition for workers. Falling short of this might get you running afoul of the law, thus it is important to have this in mind before going out to make any engagements.
Agree and Settle with The Workers on a Rate of Pay: When you meet with the laborers, they usually will want to know what they will get and what the job entails before setting out with you. So agree on the rate with them before setting out for the job so as to avoid disagreements.
Things to Note
- You Can Use a Labor Agency: This is a good option if you would rather not handle the hiring and payment process yourself. They also are in a better position to know the right people to call depending on the job available.
- Another Option Is the Community Day Laborer Programs: These programs try to make the process of matching workers to employers safe and legal for everyone involved
- It is Generally Better to pay Cash: The bulk of your workers might have difficulty processing their payment from the bank. Some might not even have bank accounts.
- Keep Record: This is especially very important if you constantly have to hire workers. This way, you’re able to keep track of the transactions that go on around you, especially the financial transactions.
- Your Workers Have Rights: Make sure you comply with the various labor laws that apply in your business location both at the federal and state level. Avoid situations or issues that could bring law suits against you.
You can visit https://www.wikihow.com/Pay-a-Day-Laborer%3famp=1 for more details on this issue and much more.
Day laborers still remain a smart and cost effective way of getting your projects done, especially if you are a small business owner. Getting the best possible workers is an added bonus and makes for more efficient execution of your projects.
Why not try them out today? You stand to benefit a lot.